We’ve designed the MiShorts site to be as intuitive and user-friendly as possible so that searching, viewing, choosing, buying, downloading and uploading films is speedy, enjoyable and hassle-free. But what ‘hassle-free’ is for us might not be for you, especially if you’re new to MiShorts, so we’ve created this Tips page. If you can’t find the answer to your query here, please use the 'Contact Us' link and we’ll get back to you with an answer very soon.
Every page on the site has access to our library search engine, mainly to help you find a specific film or director. As it searches through loglines and synopses, too, you can also use it to find films that deal with a specific subject or style, or that belong to a certain category such as Comedy, Drama, etc. Because of this, the results page will often include films you didn’t expect, but we think that’s good thing.
Every film in our library has a dedicated display page with an HD view-screen for you to watch a full-length version and/or a preview clip of up to 45 seconds duration. Free films can be streamed and downloaded an unlimited number of times, but films available as paid-for downloads stream once only before reverting to a preview clip.
We use a customised version of the industry-standard ‘JW Media Player’ that comes with an HD button. In most cases HD material is automatically detected by the player and this option is selected, but you can also manually select/de-select HD to get the best results for your broadband connection.
Apart from streams and free downloads, all films in our library are available as paid-for downloads for viewing on a wide range of devices, from the latest smartphones and tablets to computers and HD TVs. They look particularly good on iPads! The price you pay to download a film is based on its duration and will either be 45p (<3 mins), £0.65 (3>10 mins) or £0.95 (10>30 mins).
How to buy a film:
- Add to cart: when you find a film you want to buy, click the ‘Add to cart’ button on its display page and it will be added to your shopping cart.
- Show cart: when you’re ready to pay for films, click the ‘Show cart’ button and you will be taken to your shopping cart.
- Shopping Cart: this is where you can see the films you’ve selected and the total price, including any bundle discounts. When you’re ready to pay, click on the ‘Proceed to payment‘ button and you will be taken to PayPal.
- Payment: you can pay for films with a credit/debit card or via your PayPal account. When payment is completed, click on the ‘Return to MiShorts Ltd’ button and you will be taken to your download page in MiProfile.
Your download page displays all active paid-for and free downloads. Each film is yours to keep for life and can be downloaded a maximum of three times from the date/time of purchase (or selection if free). You can download it three times in one format or three times in different formats - the choice is yours. Advice on the correct download for a specific device is provided in your MiProfile download area.
Please remember that our Term & Conditions expressly forbids you from distributing copies of films to friends or for any kind of public screening. Our films are provided without DRM protection and are for your personal use only, so we rely on your honesty with this. Every copy you make for someone else takes money from the filmmaker.
After leaving the download page, finding it again is easy:
1. Select ‘miprofile’ on the main menu bar
2. In your MiProfile area, select the ‘Purchases’ tab
3. Click on download page link
Our unique 'MiEncode' application makes the process of submitting films to MiShorts easy and enjoyable. Here are some tips to help you get the best out of it:
- Crop tool: use this optional tool to remove any vertical or horizontal black bars that are visible in its display screen. If there are no bars, move to the next page.
- Still selection: the image you select will represent your film on the site, so choose something eye-catching and preferably a close-up.
- Logline: this appears next to your film in the category list and is an important ‘hook’ for potential buyers, so choose your words carefully and keep it brief.
- Synopsis: once a potential buyer is hooked by your logline, you can entice them further with a well-written indication of what the film is about. Keep it relatively brief and enigmatic/powerful (whichever suits), but not too revealing.
- Preview clip: this will have the greatest impact on a buyer, so take your time selecting this. Clips can be up to 45 seconds, but if your film is under two minutes, 20-25 seconds is all you need. Unless there is good reason, exclude the title sequence.
MiEncode has a batch-list feature that enables you to prepare several films for encoding/uploading in one go. If encoding more than one film, especially if your computer will be unattended, we suggest disabling the screensaver before pressing the ‘start’ button as its activation may interfere with MiEncode’s operation.
Finally, for best results, we recommend your film has the following specifications:
- Minimum image size of 640x480
- Maximum image size of 1920x1080 (full HD 1080p)
- Preferred image size of 1280x720 (HD 720p)
- Format: all standard formats are accepted, except HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, and copy- protected DVDs
- Preferred format: MPEG4 or QuickTime
- Preferred video codec: H.264/MPEG-4
- Preferred audio codec: AAC or 32_floating point/big endian/little endian
- Audio setting: 48kHz, 16-bit stereo
As stated in our Terms & Conditions, MiShorts will pay the legal owner of a film 50% of the advertised download price every time it is purchased. You can obtain real-time information on the number of times your film has been downloaded, and commission earned, by selecting the ‘Sales’ tab in MiProfile.
All commission payments, including VAT where applicable, will be paid into the owner’s nominated PayPal account on the first day of the month, provided the total commission earned is not less than £25. You must open a PayPal account and provide the email address in your MiProfile ‘Accounts’ tab to receive payments. PayPal may take an additional 3-5 working days to transfer payments to your personal bank account.